Monday, March 24, 2014

Little Fox

I made it home for my youngest daughter's third birthday.  It feels great to be back in Alaska and no longer in Georgia separated from my family.  My last week in GA though I took advantage of not having kids around and did some major sewing for Isa's birthday.

I found some super cute fox and lady bug fabric at Joanns so I bought several of the coordinating fabrics to make her a complete birthday look.  I used patterns I already had on hand, the W pants and Beachy Boat neck shirt by Blank Slate Patterns.

Blank Slate Patterns

 All the knits that coordinated were in the colors that went with the fox fabric but were in totally different patterns or were solid.  And I wanted to create something of interest on the shirt.

Blank Slate Patterns


So, I bought a zig-zag pattern knit, a pink knit, and some sheer with little daisies.  All of these fabric coordinated with the twill fabric I used for the pants.  Then I set out to do some reverse applique.  First, I set out to find a good fox silhouette.  Good 'ole Google images was perfect for that!  I found a fox head, printed it, and cut it out.

Blank Slate Patterns


Second, I pinned a wide strip of the sheer on top of the cut front of the shirt.  I pinned the silhouette on top of all three centered.  I then stitched around the fox's head and eyes with a straight stitch.  Next, I cut the excess sheer off from the outside of the fox face and zig-zagged around the raw edges of the face.

Blank Slate Patterns


Third, pinned a piece of the patterned knit behind the fox and again zig-zagged.  Finally, I cut the excess of the printed fabric.  As you can see, I left the pink for the eyes intact and sandwiched between the two layers.

Blank Slate Patterns
 I did change the shirt pattern just slightly.  I used a knit binding on the sleeves and neckline and then faced the bottom hem.  I just like that look a bit more.  And the bottom hem is faced with the patterned knit so it will still look cute when it inevitably is flipped up.

P.S.  Project Run and Play is having inspired by animals week, so this was perfect timing.

If you are interested in hearing more from us, there are a couple ways for you to keep in touch!

6 comments:

  1. Super cute fabric for those pants!
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with that fabric and it is the perfect weight for spring pants.

      Delete
  2. You can tell she really loves her new fox shirt! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so funny about getting the new outfit. I don't sew for her very much because she gets hand-me-downs from her older siblings and I think she was just thrilled that it was made for her.

      Delete

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips