Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A little too ...

 This is the final week of this round of Project Sewn and is the signature style theme.  And as I was looking over what I have made over the last two months, I have noticed a pattern.  Several of the items were either a little to fancy or a little too sexy for my lifestyle.

I am a mom of three great kids so life is on the go and sometimes sticky.  And I am an attorney in the Army which means I wear a uniform designed for men five days a week.  Thus, when it is time to create and dream about clothes I tend to gravitate to flowing feminine fabrics or fun and funky designs.  Anything basically to make me feel more like a woman.

But that ends up resulting in skirts that are probably too short for a woman my age.  Or blouses that show just a bit too much cleavage for picking up toddlers.



And this recent project turned out no different.

The skirt is from the new U.S. version of BurdaStyle winter 2014 issue, pattern #107 .  The fabric is a faux suede and it is lined.  The skirt looked a little short on the model, but burda's models are super tall and I always have to take inches off their hems.  So I thought it would be fine on my 5' 3" self.  But, it turned out shorter than I expected.  It has a higher waist too, so does that make it look shorter?



The top is from the English/European version of burdastyle's 11/2012 issue, pattern #112 with the sleeves of #113.  The fabric is a slinky polyester fabric from Joann's that was on sale.  I just loved the colors in this fabric and bought it with a particular top in mind.  That top is from the same pattern as a dress I made over the holidays out of a similar fabric that I purchased on the same trip.  However, the dress did not turn out spectacular and it is mainly because it needed a fabric with more body.  So what to do with this fabric that was meant for the blouse version? 

Those are mustard yellow tights ... my legs are not really yellow and I swear it looked good in real life.


I looked through the magazine and found #112 which was meant for flowing fabric.  It is a fairly easy pattern and the blouse is quite comfortable.  It is also long enough that I can wear it with leggings even though I shortened it by about 3 inches.  But one word of caution.  The slit on the front is really quite deep if you are petite.  I had to sew it back up because it almost went to my belly button.



Speaking of buttons, the slit does close with one fabric covered button.  I thought that was a nice touch.  I used some of the white fabric from the skirt for the collar to provide a bit of interest and wonder if I should have made the covered button white too.  Oh well.

All in all, I do like this outfit.  I am just a bit unsure where I will go in a white mini skirt and a flowing blouse.

If you want to go check out other lady's signature styles and/or vote for mine this weekend (Feb 28-Mar 2), go HERE.

If you are interested in hearing more from us, there are a couple ways for you to keep in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips