Well, Project Run and Play ended a couple of weeks ago but they are starting up again next week for a special addition, "All Stars". And in order to get us all ready, they had a special sew-along pattern remix competition. Oh, I (Major Moma) could not resist. Especially when I saw the pattern we were to remix.
|Spring Fling by Jessica at Sew Me Crazy|
But, there was a lot of chatter about the girliness of this and all other remixes. What about the boys??
But, I also loved this pattern for girls so I made a boy and girl look.
Given the time constraints and the work that each of these looks entailed, I made no pants. When these guys are worn on Easter morning, there will be matching bottoms. But you will have to wait to see those.For the boy look, I went for a western feel. First for the most obvious part of the remix -- the vest. I drafted the vest using my wild ginger pattern drafting software. After a major hiccup along the way, I came up with a sharp looking vest pattern with darts in the front and 3 darts in the back. The front is lined and the back is left unlined but has finished seems. The key elements from the original pattern that I kept were
- the cut-out/insert yoke
- covered buttons
I love covered buttons, so I kept that element and I covered them according to the side of fabric on which they sat. shiny vis a vis textured.
Finally, I used a candlelight colored satin piping to add a layered element to the vest. I did this through the double layer of of piping at the insert (brown and candlelight) and I added the piping at the hem of the vest.
The original dress also had high contrast fabrics. In order to keep a bit of that styling, I decided to make a light blue dress shirt to go under the vest. This is no simple shirt with a collar. This is my first dress shirt with a collar band and let me tell you, it was not easy. What made it more difficult is that I drafted this shirt also using my wild ginger software. Normally, when I am going to do something new, I first use a commercial pattern so I can see how it is supposed to be done.
But, here I had to figure it out myself. It is not perfect, but I am still thrilled with the results. Beyond the collar band, the shirt has a shoulder yoke and pleats in the back. And on the front, I have a little pocket. The sleeves have a simple placket and button cuffs.
Because a five year old will not be wearing a fancy vest that often, I added this very bad ass embroidery on the back. It is from Urban Threads and cost me $5. This was the most expensive part of both outfits. The brown fabric was left over from a dress I am working on for a friend, the blue was a friend's uniform shirt, and the trims I got from a clearance basket. So, until I bought this embroidery, both outfits would have cost under $5, so it doubled my expense. But it was WORTH it! Look how cool and western it makes this shirt.
So, pictures of clothes on hangers are boring.
But sometimes that is all I get done because by the time I get home from work, dinner is on the table. Then it is time to pick up the house and get those kiddos to bed. There simply is no time for a photo shoot during the week. But, I needed to get these photos up and posted before 8 March in order to participate in PRP's remix competition. My solution, before our Wednesday night Bible study, I would quickly put the outfits on, take a couple of shots and be done.
Eli was a great sport.
Isa, not so much. I got her dress on and then she grabbed her tights and boots and took of running!
And these were the photos I was getting of her ... a blur of bare legs! So I switched the setting of my little point-and-shoot camera to "Children" and manage to get a couple of shots that were not so blurry. But they really don't do the dress justice.
I kept much of the bodice the same as the original dress. (The original pattern is actually quite cute and her instructions are pretty good. I think the construction of the arms could be more clear though.) The bodice changes I made were limited to the insert. I exchanged the ruffle for some cotton lace and add a double layer of piping. I also added a placket for the buttons to have traditional button holes instead of loops. I also added piping to the arm holes and flutter sleeve.
The big difference is that I changed out the skirt. Instead of a layered ruffle skirt, I made a mini circle skirt. I think this will be really cute with a pair of fancy bloomers. But, like I said, there are no bottoms completed.
|Won't those leapard print boots be cute with this!|